05 November 2007

Tortuga. Just a picture.

Honu, Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle

You can read stories if you go to the Archive section of the side blog, under the thumbnail Vangough self-portrait and my profile section.

Under September's So You're Saying There's a Chance, and October's Four of a Kind.

This Honu was actually just sleeping this morning when I did an entrapment walk. I thought perhaps it was near death, as we have had one wash up to this very shore during my stay.

I was informed otherwise. They sleep like a rock, and breath very slowly. I thought it was dying, taking only two "breaths"...that being throat movement during my time watching it. It never looked my way.

We are supposed to give these guys a wide berth, as a federally threatened population. My lack of knowledge of sea turtles' sleeping habits allowed a few up close photos.

It's a huge animal, by the way.

Makes me think of the Turtle/mountain that kept sneezing in A Neverending Story.

This guy didn't sneeze. Never made a sound.

Good evening from the blue.


blowing out the flame..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Wonderful pictures, as usual. Always a treat to find a new entry on your site.
peace,
bd

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Great picture of the Laysan.
thanks for sharing it.
bd

KB said...

Matt,
your pictures are all so amazing! i just love reading your blog. apparently, my mom does too! she even uses some of your pix as her computer desktop background. we are learning so much from your posts. thank you so much! we're going to miss you a lot at thanksgiving. but i'm also thinking about your big 30 coming up very soon. it's going to be memorable! love, your cousin kim

MWYork said...

Thanks bd. 'Tis pacific, indeed.

Professor Cousin, thanks for reading. And your mother as well, my audience has certainly been growing. I learn alot from my posts as well.
Shhhh, on that "30" business. I think I'll be 27 again. I could redo parts of that year. Nah, 30 is fine.
In all seriousness, thank you for your thoughts and welcomed words.

You guys will be incredibly missed at Thanksgiving as well.