03 November 2007

Laysan Albatrosses have started to arrive

Five were seen on island this afternoon.

Heres a picture of one.

Laysan Albatross (Diomedea immutabilis)

**I wrote a story on Tristram's Storm-Petrels, with pics, and at the end the weblog server said connection was down. That was this morning. I re-wrote it this afternoon, same thing. Supposedly its all saved as a draft, but I cannot find how to publish a draft.**

*I'm too tired to keep trying.*

Exciting to have some Laysan's here now. First one seen, at 1346 hrs, the afternoon of 3 November while we were working.

-mwyork

4 comments:

heidi said...

it would appear that you are now officially in good company =)

Anonymous said...

Matt,
After some rest,keep trying to retrieve and publish the missing story. Another great picture.
bd

Anonymous said...

Glad the Laysans have arrived. Are they smaller than the Black-
Footed? I'm enjoying your sidebar pics and comments, too. That belly shot is great.
JLY

MWYork said...

Heidi: I am now in, or have been, in all expected company for my time here. Hoping for vagrants as far as new species. Dare I say Short-tailed Alb...Had one confirmed on the island in 2002. An endangered species with a pop. in the hundreds..and an albatross, the great ocean faring wanderers. Greedy, I know. But where else would I have even a shot.

bd: I'll try again this morning. I about uplugged this thing and threw it in the drink yesterday. Twice.

jly: Laysans and Black-footed are generally the same size and wingspan. They are smaller albatrosses. LAAL length 31-32 in. Wingspan 70-80 in.
BFAL length 27-29 in Wingspan 76-84 inches.

Where it gets really fun is south of the equator in the south Pacific. There, the big guys roam.
Por ejemplo: Wandering Albatross Length 42-53 in. Wingspan 100-138 inches
Royal Albatross Length 42-48 inches Wingspan 120-138 inches