22 December 2007

Snow Plow

It got down into the upper 60's the last few nights.


Actually, just grating the runway, and getting some time on the big Kubota tractor. Often times an albatross will be in the way. So I just sit with the clutch and brake on. I'll yell, sing songs, clap my hands....the albatross just looks at me. I inch the Kubota a bit closer(tough to inch forward this powerful machine), clapping, and yelling, and the albatross just stands there looking up at this orange contraption with the strangly acting biped in the seat.
Eventually the albatross...s.l.o.w.l.y...walks away; just far enough. I then continue.

Happy and Safe holidays, my friends. I think of you often. Particularly so as the calender reminds me what time of the year it is. Looking outside, you'd never know. Except for the ritualized change in avifauna. The particular bird species on island mark the seasons.




peace,

mwyork

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
A bird standing face to face with a stopped tractor brings back images of China several years ago with the young man standing in front of a line of tanks.
The young man was brave, but nobler still was the tank commander.
peace, indeed,
bd

MWYork said...

Rest assured, the Laysan Albatross received a far better fate than the Chinese student.

Could certainly bring up a discussion about location of the next Olympics.

Beijing 2008.