03 August 2008

Faint Dashes

I saw a stream of shearwaters far out into the ocean,
below the horizon, this morning.

I saw an albatross, far out into the ocean,
beyond the horizon, this morning.

They took this moment to remind me how humans
normally view them, faint dashes through a scope,
if they are fortunate.

On the verge of tears, I silently thanked them.

Thanked them for sharing their home with me.
For the knowledge imparted,
and understanding conveyed.

Always a part of me they were, are, and will be.

But now, to my physical eyes,
they are faint dashes.
Only slightly less mysterious now.

Sigh.
again, faint dashes, if I am fortunate.

For I am only human.
And I am fortunate.

-MWYork, 08.03.2008
Too far into the Pacific on some days.
Not far enough on others.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I love the poem. Thanks for opening your hear and eyes...and mine as well.
bd

Kelly said...

Hey Matt,
Unless they've locked you in a small, dark room, you've been experiencing stuff worth sharing. Get back in the saddle man.
Cheers,
Kelly

Kelly said...

I can only assume you've been locked in a small, dark room. If there's anything I can do to help, and you have a way to let me know (ie note in a generic, small, green bottle with cork), please do so.
Cheers,
Kelly