22 April 2008

He Has The Whole World In His Hands

He atleast had the whole world of this fellow being in his hand, at that moment.

I know my whole world ceases to exist, or perhaps I should say focuses all the way down to what is in my hand, at these moments I have pictured.

We work with nestlings like the guy pictured above. It might have taken an incredible hike to get to the nest, you guys have seen some pictures of many of these canyons on the island. Regardless of how tired, sore, cholla ridden, hot, or uncomfortable you may be; when it comes to times such as these one must bring everything down into focus. A focus on a great responsibility, entrusted to me. Entrusted not just by those I work with, or the permitting USFWS, but some other that has never needed a name, All Things and No Thing.
Nestlings must be atleast 9-days-old. When the reach the 14-day-old mark, they are beginning to get too old. Too old, because at this age they are able to hop out of the nest. Upon seeing us approach, the may take the moment and jump out of the bowl, and onto the ground making things quite difficult for all involved. That action is called a "force-fledge." We take all necessary precautions to avoid such an event.
Some birds we just don't get too before they get too old for us to approach the nest. Reasons might be we aged the nest wrong, or perhaps we found the nest late in the season and the nestlings were already fairly old, or (and this happens sometimes) the nest is unreachable...remember some of the pics of the canyons. You might be, I certainly am at times, surprised the nests we manage to get to.
In the next post I'll show pictures of young LOSH's that are now Fledglings. Fledglings are those that have had first flight from nest.
peace,
mwyork

No comments: