11 February 2008

Update on an Update

from those still on Tern Island, French Frigate Shoals, NW Hawaiian Islands.

The albatross chicks are growing rapidly. Some of them are being abandoned by their adults though. They have been able to swap some chicks over to parents whose chick has died. This is done "as long as the chick is fairly small (b/c vocalizations aren't imprinted yet) and the foster parent feeds the newbie straight away."

This seems to work with Laysan Albatross (Phoebastria immutabilis) more than the Black-footed Albatross (P. nigripes) according to those who have been apart of this recently on the island.


They are going to try to put a transmitter (good luck..."Prius" was very shy and flighty when I was on island) on the Laysan X Black-footed hybrid. This in hopes of discovering whether this hybrid more like a LAAL or a BFAL. I must assume in the different lat-longs traversed. Although, these guys are both Northern Hemisphere, Pacific Ocean albatross species, covering pretty much the same range. Who knows? It should be interesting anyways to discover where this bird flies.

Picture of Prius, the hybrid, above.


Also in the update sent to me, the first Christmas Shearwater (Puffinus nativitatis) of the season has returned to the island.


photo by S. Luecht of Christchurch, NZ

There exists a subspecies of the nominate Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) that is an absolute stunner as an adult male. The brewsteri Brown Booby (S. l. brewsteri) is generally seen around the area of Pacific Ocean nearer to the Mexican coast and reaching, at times, off the coast of southern CA, and seldom inland to the U.S. Southwest.

Anyway, I had seen this guy on 3 seperate occasions during my stay on Tern Island. The NW Islands well west of where expected. I never saw him land. I did witness an attempt to land on a defunct weather data station that had long ago become a favorite roost of Red-footed Booby (S. sula) juveniles during the day. It didn't work out for him that time. One landing was reported by a co-worker of mine on the opposite end of Tern that I was on. By the time I ran down there, nothing. The reporting co-worker; a marathon runner. Me; not.
Anyhow, a picture was attached to this recent email update I received.

I restrain jealousy for only certain occasions.

This is one:

photo by S. Luecht of Christchurch, NZ

As for me, I should find myself meandering toward San Diego, California at some point tomorrow.

Good evening from Yuma, Arizona.

-mwyork



No comments: