19 January 2008

The Young and not yet Restless

Updated pictures of our birds were sent to me this morning and I thought I'd send them to you. You guys have been following the progress of the species out there while I was there. Let's follow together, as we are now both off island.
I know Mrs. Seale's class at Spring Valley Elementary in Hewitt, Texas were writing down possible dates, and eagerly awaiting (with me and my co-workers) the first albatross to land on Tern I. Now check this next picture out.

These pistures were not taken by me, and not attributed to any specified person on Tern, when sent to me.

Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes) with new chick

I feel quite proud, really, when I first viewed these pictures this morning. How proud does the albatross seem? It's work has just begun.

Remember that early Red-tailed Tropicbird(Phaethon rubricauda) egg? Remember, on Christmas day, it was first seen as a successful hatch? I may have talked about how the" too early egg-then-chick "didn't survive last year. We discussed how, in comparison to these other open-ocean seabirds, that RTTR chick survivability was quite low.

Let's keep rooting the kid on, still going....still growing, too.....


Finally, here is a picture of a just hatched Laysan Albatross(Phoebastria immutabilis) chick, looks cold...

Its down will come in shortly. The beginnings you can already see

Hopefully I'll be sent updated pics as they grow.
Lets stay tuned.

Good Saturday morning.

peace.

-mwyork

No comments: