18 October 2007

Good bye, Good luck, and Thank You

The last of a species has fledged.. Off to the open ocean, off of this island. The final Christmas Shearwater (Puffinus nativitatis)has successfully left Tern I.

This bird, a shearwater, digs burrows on remote islands like Wedge-tails, to raise their young.

The Christmas Shearwater's range only covers ocean, and islands north and south of the equator in the central Pacific Ocean.

I was saddened not to see it yesterday. To keep up with species phenology, I checked extensively. It has left the island. A wonderful success for that "kid." My sadness comes from the real possibility that I may never see this truly oceanic species again, from any vantage point. Most certain, I won't see it so closely.

This is why I came here, well in part, for spp. such as this.

Sadness tempered with joy that the last, and there weren't many(like the Wedge-tailed Shearwaters all over the island, nearing banding time), has successfully made it.

Good bye Puffinus nativitatis. Good luck, and thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Interesting...the nearness of joy and saddness. Thanks for learning it, again, this time from the birds, and for passing the lesson/reminder along.
Your entries are always meaningful.
bd

heidi said...

This brings to mind some lyrics "the good news is I'm better for the time we spent together, and the bad news is you're gone"

MWYork said...

Excellent, both of you.

Nearness of joy and sadness, as close as heads and tails on a dime bd

Very nice, Heidi. Appropriate lyric.

Kelly said...

Matt,
Thanks for all your posting. I've begun enjoying checking your blog pretty regularly, so I thought I'd at least write to let you know you have me as a consumer. Great photos, and so close to such neat birds and turtles and such. Sarah and I just saw our first baby Chelonia mydas this week. So cute, but we weren't allowed to use our flash, so no good photos. Being in such an isolated piece of land, I'm curious about what taxonomic groups are absent where you are, and how noticeable it is.