19 August 2007

Tattle Tale



painting by John James Audubon

First, a question....What genus has the majority of various governing bodies decided these guys are in; Heteroscelus or Tringa?

I'll go with Tringa for brevity, ease of speaking and writing.

The Wandering Tattler or 'Ulili(Tringa incanus) is a common winter visitor to the main islands of Hawai'i. Arriving in the Islands by August and leaving for Alaskan breeding grounds in late April or May, where it breeds chiefly on gravel streambeds. That can't be too comfortable.

Some non-breeding birds may oversummer in Hawai'i. (Hawaii's Birds, 6th ed., Hawaii Audubon Society)

During my first few days,getting the opportunity to hang out on O'ahu, I think it will be a real kick to see some of these Alaska and tundra breeders that winter in Pacific Islands. Perhaps someday I can see them in all their breeding plumage splendor in the far north of mainland North America.

The Wandering Tattler often teeters and bobs while it feeds.
Tattlers are generally solitary (I can understand that) but are sometimes found in pairs or small flocks. The Wandering Tattler also winters on rocky coasts from northern California, south to Pacific Coastal Mexico.

The Gray-tailed Tattler (Tringa brevipes) is a rare migrant to the Islands from Asia.

Hopefully an 'Ulili or even its gray-tailed cousin will cross my path while I spend my few days on the Main Islands.

I haven't seen, or been called, a tattler since my younger sister and I were growing up.

No comments: